Saturday, February 6, 2016

Blackbirds and Berries

I first shared this new rug a few posts back. It's totally finished now and I think it turned out to be one of my all time favorites! I adapted a quilt design from Kim Diehl's book titled Homestyle Quilts. The size is 22" x 25".


Below is a picture of the quilt in the book.


You can see that I totally changed the border and I got the inspiration for that part from a coloring book I received for Christmas. You can see the arrow in this photo pointing out the part that I adapted.


I had a bit of trouble finding wool yarn the right color to whip the edges, but finally tracked down some Paternyan at a local shop - couldn't be better! It cost quite a bit more than I usually spend, but it was totally worth it to me.


Yesterday I stopped at an antique sale and was surprised to find a hooked rug for sale - they don't show up often in this part of the country! It looked like the maker used silky fabrics instead of wool to make this with. I forgot to ask the price - thought that would have been interesting to know....


The back was finished nicely too.

Now I need to figure out what my next rug hooking project will be. Till then, I'll begin making a new lap quilt for DD#2. She needs one to snuggle under while watching TV in the basement where it gets a bit chilly. This one is very modern and it'll be interesting to work on something so far outside my normal color and style. I know she'll love it when it's done so it'll be worth it!

23 comments:

marie said...

Great job on the rug, I need to lean to 'think out of the box' and get some rug patterns from all the quilt books I have. I find it hard to get yarn for the bindings, do you all wool yarn? What I do find is thin and it takes forever, so I've been using wool strips if I haven enough of the right color on hand.

Woolly Mammoth Woolens said...

Love your rug and love the inspiration!!

Kyle said...

Your rug is a wonderful interpretation of K. D,s quilt. I like your border which frames the center design perfectly. It's a beautiful finish. Have fun starting your new project. We stretch our creativity for our kids.

Sylvia said...

Your rug is great!

Sue SA said...

Love your new rug, and how you used Kim's pattern. Looking forward to seeing the modern quilt. Always nice to make something a bit different.

Karen said...

I made the Kim Diehl pattern into a wall quilt. It is wonderful seeing it made into a rug. How will you use it?

Nancy said...

It is a joy to see your beautiful rug, Gayle. Well done! I love your interpretation of the original image from Kim Diehl and I especially love that blue border around the edges. It seems like you just started this a few days ago. You must work very quickly.
Nancy.

Julia said...

You did a beautiful job on this rug, Yea for those coloring books.I love it, sometimes you need some of those little inspirations...

Hugs,
JB

WoolenSails said...

Your version and colors on the rug came out beautifully and the blue edge is a perfect edging for it.

Debbie

Cheryl said...

Always loved the quilt and your rug version is beautiful!

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

Rug is wonderful!

Lori said...

Your hooked rug is gorgeous!
it's fun to work on a quilt that is outside of our safe range. Looking forward to seeing it!!

Farm Girl said...

That rug is just lovely. I love that pattern and I love how your binding looks. That is a very nice rug you found too.
I need to start a new project too. I need to find my mojo though. Have a lovely new week.

Jennie in GA said...

I adore your rug. It is so crisp. And the pretty blue scalloped border was the perfect choice. Looks like eyelet. Don't you love those coloring books for big kids???

woolwoman said...

your rug finish is very pretty Gayle! I know a very famous old time rug hooker in our area who used nothing but Paternayan to bind her rugs and she also only used the herringbone stitch. Of course she did exquisite fine shaded rugs in a 3 cut. I took a few classes from her but I just didn't think I would ever progress from not having to have the charted cheat sheet and if I am going to do charted work - i'll just do my sampler stitching. rug hooking allows me a creative freedom I am not used to with more structured needlework. Cheers - Mel

Sandi said...

Your adaption of Kim's quilt into a hooked rug is lovely. I loke the colours you chose to make it. I'm sur Kim would approve.

Rugs and Pugs said...

I see why that rug is one of your favorites. Very nice and the wool found is perfect.
Hugs :)
Lauren

annie said...

I e your rug, it came out just fabulous!
I love the colors you used!

Janet O. said...

Excellent translation from quilt to rug, Gayle! It really stands out with the wonderful border you created.
Where will you display your new favorite?

Dawn said...

A beautiful rug! I once your interpretation of the quilt to hooking. I think I might have been very tempted by the deer rug. Thanks for sharing!

Me and My Stitches said...

I couldn't love this rug more! Your border is perfect and it just goes to show that we really do NEED those coloring books!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Your border is a much nicer finish than the original--love it! It looks like that coloring book has lots more fun designs to borrow too.

celkalee said...

What a great interpretation of that design. It is beautiful.