Thursday, July 23, 2015

More Rug Hooking

I recently got to visit with my friend Kay who I hadn't seen for several months - she invited me to come and see her newly completed hooked rug, and the 'new' home that she and her hubby moved into back in December. Both were delightful. Her rug tells the story of a 4th of July family tradition that they do every single year which makes it extra special. Her hubby always draws the design for her rugs so it's a one-of-a-kind. Last summer I helped her work with an author who is writing a book about story rugs and their makers - several of her rugs will be featured in the book that is due out in January and I can't wait to see it!

After I admired these cute little yellow seed pods she had displayed in a crock, she gave me a small bunch which I'm enjoying immensely. Does anyone know what these are? I'd love to have a few more but don't even know what I'm looking for.

And Marianne began this rug a few months ago when Diane Stoffel came to teach at our Guild. She works at a quilt shop and this picture was shared on their blog so I grabbed it from there. A Karla Gerard design.

I'll be attending a baby shower for my daughter-in-law on Saturday. I put together a fun little gift basket full of goodies. Not included in the basket are newly recovered rocking chair cushions, and a pair of curtains for the nursery that I made using fabric she chose and had shipped to me. We live three hours apart so she hasn't seen them yet - hope she's happy with them! Only a few more weeks till the little guy arrives - YAY! (the baby quilt is still in the works)

15 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

What fun rugs - both of them!
You will have to give us more information on the book. I am a book junkie.
Another grandchild. Congrats.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Doniene said...

I'm sure she will love them!!!! The rug of your friend is fabulous! Thanks for sharing!!

Three Sheep Studio said...

The July fourth rug is a real heirloom to pass through the family. Your friend must be delighted to have her work included in a book.
Congratulations on the "soon to arrive" addition to your family ! Grand babies are the best ;)
Rose

Julia said...

Your friend did a splendid job on both rugs. A great family heirloom indeed. I love her choice of colors and how she did the sky on Karla's design, very nice.

What a cute gift basket for the new grand baby and thoughtful gifts for the nursery. Congratulations on the expected new grand child. You'll have so much fun. Nothing better for grandparents. All the best to the expectant parents and baby.
Hugs,
JB

Farm Girl said...

How nice that you made those and you are going to be having a new grandbaby. I love those rug designs! It sounds like you are having such a nice summer.

Kyle said...

What a delight that you'll have a new grand baby soon! What fun for you. We'll be waiting to see the new quilt and the new baby, of course!
Lovely rug designs. The 4th of July will certainly be a family treasure.

annie said...

Congrats on the new baby! That's great!
Bet she will love all her things!
I love those rugs!
Esp. the shop one!
Not a clue about the yellow balls!
Hope the rest of the summer is wonderful!!

Saundra said...

Great rugs and congrats; think you're days in the near future will be busy.

Yvonne said...

Your friend is so talented! How exited that her rugs will be in the book!

Janet O. said...

What a wonderful holiday tradition rug. Can you explain what the "I hope they call" part of the tradition is about--I know what it is, I just wonder how it fits into their tradition.
No idea on the seed pods.
Are you getting excited for the new little one? Oh, how I miss my newest that lives 2000 miles away!!

Sylvia said...

Congratulations on another grandchild!
I think your yellow flowers are Crespedia Billy Balls.
Sylvia

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Gayle, how fun that your friend's hubby designs her rugs. I see that they do a 4th of July breakfast. That is one our traditions as well. The seed pods are so cute! I've never seen anything like them. I noticed one reader said what she thinks they are. I'll have to research it. would like to plant some as well.
Congrats on the new baby! We got our 10th three months ago, little Evan.
hugs,
Jann

Lesley said...

Beautiful works you've shared with us. The little gift sure looks pretty all wrapped up and ready to go!

Mary A said...

You can also look for Lavender Cotton. Drought tolerant, full sun. The blooms are great for drying.

celkalee said...

What adorable rugs! Such talent by her husband who makes these one of a kind masterpieces. These are the style I sometimes see when touring vintage homes and homesteads. They tell the story of that family and their lives. Beautiful.