Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Finished Rug

It seems like a long, long time since I've spent much time rug hooking, let alone actually FINISHING a rug - but that day has arrived - YAY! Yesterday I pulled the last loops on this rug that I call Fraktur Paisley. I used a #8 cut and it finished at 20" x 25".



I saw this picture on Pinterest years ago and fell in love with it - I'm pretty sure it is a piece of old painted furniture - a chest perhaps? Anyway, the design & colors just spoke to me so I duplicated them in wool.


Last week at my monthly meeting with the Salt Lake rug group, Myra shared this fun 3D birdhouse that she had made - the inside is hollow so she wants to cut a piece of wood to fill the opening and help it stand up more easily - I love the proddy flowers that she added to it - and the direction she hooked the roof. FUN!

This is not the greatest picture, but Nancy was working on some Christmas stockings for new grandchildren. Notice how she hooked on both sides of the piece of linen to make the best use of it with the shapes... Good idea! And how smart of her to make these during the summer months so they'll be ready for the holidays!

Thursday is the first day of a three day workshop that I'm taking with Sharon Smith of Off The Hook Wool Rugs from California and I'm really looking forward to it. Our Guild is bringing her in - she is the third national teacher that we've had and I still have to pinch myself to think that we're able to do this! I have my project prepared - and my wools are packed - we'll see how it goes....

13 comments:

Janet O. said...

Nice replication job on the rug, Gayle!
Love those stockings. I'm never ahead of the game on Christmas projects. Smart woman. : )
Enjoy your workshop--can't wait to see what you create.

Me and My Stitches said...

Love your new rug! Have a great time at the workshop and take lots of pictures - can't wait to see! I found a shop that offers hooking classes, and hope to take one this summer!

Cathy G. said...

I love that old design and what a neat rug it is!! Beautiful wool colors!
Wow... a class with Sharon Smith! What a great opportunity! Enjoy it Gayle!
Hugs!!
Cathy G

Julia said...

You did a great job on that rug Gayle, and you chose the perfect color wool for the background. It looks very nice.

I would have never thought of hooking a pattern on the opposite side of my backing. Creative idea to save backing.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your workshop with Sharon Smith. I see a lot of her popular rug patterns on Rug Hooking Daily.

Hugs,
JB

Saundra said...

Goodness what fun you shared tonight. Your new piece is lovely and think you captured the olden look. Great Stockings for the holidays and LUCKY YOU!!!!!!! Sharon Smith? I love everything she hooks and perhaps one day will be lucky enough to have her in as a teacher.

Saundra

Kyle said...

Your finished rug is beautiful. Congratulations on getting it done. Enjoy every moment of your workshop. Sounds like a awesome opportunity.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Have a wonderful time and take lots of pictures to share!
LOVE your rug and the inspiration behind it.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Unknown said...

Gayle . . love one art medium rendered in another and I love what you did. All these projects are inspiring.
Need to go look for me old hook! Thanks.

annie said...

loved your rug! it does look like antique furniture, loved the colors. the other projects are great, loved the bird house!

Three Sheep Studio said...

Your rug is beautiful, Gayle.
Enjoy your class....what a great opportunity ! Will be eager to hear about it ;)
Rose

Yvonne said...

I love the way you turn a picture into a pattern and make such beautiful little rugs. Your book group has many talented woman but hey.....a three day workshop sounds like fun! I think you could get into teaching as well!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

White a nice job on the rug! Have fun at that workshop. I can't wait to see what you accomplish.

audrey said...

Yay for the finished rug! Great repro. work! Wonderful that you get to take a class by someone so inspirational.:)